Thursday, April 3, 2014

Succulents with WOW factor!



Orchids are beautiful but aren't every one's cup of tea. Want something less pricey but just as varied? Try planting succulents.

These are one of the easiest plant groups to grow and often overlooked for their design potential.
With the exception of the top photo all the sedum plantings are in my yard. Although I've made hypertufa containers for sedums, I found that old metal colanders are a wonderful way to provide fast drainage for these drought tolerant plants. I found both the copper colander and the beat up grey graniteware colander at my local thrift store for less than ten dollars each.

The cedar sedum wall planter was a project I planned for my garden club members to do. If you've got some basic power tools and just a little bit of skill you can make these.  I show the sizes I used in the illustrations but you can make this any size you want.

Here's how -

You need -
A length of 2 x 2 lumber
A sheet of 3/8" thick plywood
Plastic garden mesh (1" holes) cut to fit plywood base
One 1 x 4" cedar fence board
A picture hanger
Nails, wood glue and staple gun



To assemble:
1. Use wood glue and nails to construct 2 x 2’s into a frame as shown in Fig. A

2. Attach plywood bottom to frame with glue and nails Fig. B

3. Attach plastic garden mesh to top of frame with a staple gun

4. Arrange 4 pieces of cedar on top of mesh with inside edges matching the inside edges of the frame and corners butting against one another. Carefully nail the cedar in place to create a picture frame effect.








I tried to show the plastic mesh in the finished illustration but - sorry - my computer doesn't like me today.

5.  Now that your frame is assembled, turn it over and attach a picture hanger of your choice to the back. I used a serrated hanger on mine. Turn the frame mesh side up and fill with cactus potting soil. Insert pieces of sedum and/or hens and chicks through the mesh. If you have a particularly large root ball on some pieces you may snip the plastic mesh slightly to ease it in. Water the whole thing lightly and let it remain flat for a few days to a week. Your sedum box is now ready to hang on your fence or outside wall. It won't need much watering but don't let it dry out too long or the soil will shrink.

Happy gardening!


No comments:

Post a Comment