Monday, January 27, 2014

It's a Girl!

The good news announcement that my soon-to-be-born first grandchild is a girl has brightened our lives and sent me into project planning heaven. Mama-to-be Amanda has a preference for all things lilac and purple and so to accommodate her wishes I've started on  knitting projects in these colors. (New daddy Dan would like to see Seattle FC Sounders colors...but that will have to wait a bit!)

First stop is my local library for an exhaustive search for books of baby knits. Ooh, so many to choose from...all with adorable little things! Of course I have to page through each and every book before I decide on a few projects to make. One look at the cover of Grammy's Favorite Knits for Babies by Doreen L. Marquart and I'm hooked.
 
http://www.shopmartingale.com/grammys-favorite-knits-for-baby.html
I imagine Doreen must have had lots of experience knitting baby togs judging by the 15 beautiful projects shown in her book. Every project is both comfortable for baby and stylish for parents. Whether you are new to knitting and looking for some classic projects that aren't too difficult or an experienced knitter looking to update your collection of patterns this is the book for you. Everything from booties to bibs, blankets and sweaters and a few ensembles with hats. If you can't find this in your local library, the book is available from Martingale & Company at only $16.99 - and considering the number of patterns adaptable for both boys and girls this is a bargain!

How can I resist making that exceptionally cute cupcake hat for my little sweetie. Since I didn't want an overly pink cupcake I used Berroco Comfort DK (Bittersweet) and Plymouth Yarns Dreambaby DK (Pink Spots) with a scrap of darker pink yarn for the pompom. The Pink Spots yarn is pale pink with lavender, green, blue and yellow flecks that look like sprinkles.

The pattern is very straight forward and well explained starting with simple ribbing at the bottom then changing color and finishing in a simple stockinette stitch. The ruffle is added by picking up stitches and knitting a few extra rows with increases. Although this is knit on circular needles it isn't complex and I would recommend the pattern for all but the very beginner knitter. If you are new to circular knitting this is an excellent first project. (*Hint: When using circular needles cast on one extra stitch then knit the first and last stitches together to make a seamless joining of the first row of knitting, otherwise you may end up with a gap in the row.)

I know I'll be making a few of these in a variety of colors...it's too easy and cute to stop at just one.  I'd love to see what other knitters have made so feel free to share your favorite baby hat photos for all to see.






No comments:

Post a Comment