Friday, December 27, 2013

The Unwanted "Gift"

Yes, it's the time of year to receive a nasty unwanted gift...and, no, I don't mean a fruitcake or bunny pajamas. Along with gathering together with friends and family, amid hugging and kissing our loved ones, comes the inevitable Christmas cold. Yuck!

So here I sit, in my comfies with a hot cup of tea, writing a post-Christmas blog. The sky in Sammamish is leaden and the rain is dripping off the eaves. The sound of the pelting raindrops rings and echoes in the chimney flue. 

I haven't the energy or inclination to work on any projects, so it will be a reading and crossword puzzle day. Although Ken Follett's Fall of Giants is calling from the bookshelf, I think Jasper Fforde's Something Rotten will fill the bill. I'll follow along as the fearless literary detective Thursday Next solves a twisting, turning mystery...all in a light-hearted way.

I'll add in a confession here - I was planning to re-photograph my Christmas cake since the previously posted photo came out so dark. In reality the cake was a beautiful, sparkling, white cloud of whipped cream frosting. But the fates, and seven dinner guests, intervened. The cake was quickly gobbled and all that was left were crumbs. Here's my "secret" recipe for the easiest, tastiest frosting ever.

Amazing Whipped Cream Frosting

1 box of Betty Crocker Fluffy White Frosting Mix
1 pint of heavy whipping cream

In a large mixing bowl, stir together the powdered frosting mix and heavy cream. Place the entire bowl in the refrigerator for at least an hour. Once thoroughly chilled, whip until peaks form. Frost your cake and lick the spoon. Later graciously accept praise from those who've tasted it.

The hardest part of this recipe is finding the Betty Crocker boxed frosting mix. Since none of my neighborhood grocery stores carry it anymore, I've resorted to buying a case at a time on Amazon. Yep, it's worth it. Thank you Betty Crocker where ever you are!

No comments:

Post a Comment